Puri, a city located on the eastern coast of India, is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, ancient temples, and vibrant culture. It is a city that offers visitors a plethora of options when it comes to things to do in Puri.
Whether you are a history buff, a beach lover, or a spiritual seeker, Puri has something for everyone. In this article, we will explore some of the best things to do in Puri, so you can plan your trip and make the most of your time in this beautiful city.
Consider reading: Top 10 Best Hotels in Puri
1. Visit the Jagannath Temple
The Jagannath Temple in Puri, Odisha, stands as a beacon of religious significance and architectural splendor. This ancient temple, dedicated to Lord Jagannath, a form of Lord Vishnu, ranks among India’s most sacred pilgrimage sites.
Architectural and Artistic Grandeur:
- Epitome of Kalinga Architecture: The temple’s design is a classic example of Kalinga architecture, renowned for its curvilinear towers and detailed carvings.
- Meghanada Pacheri: The surrounding high wall is embellished with sculptures, adding to the temple’s visual appeal.
- Intricate Craftsmanship: Every nook of the temple showcases the exceptional skills of ancient artisans.
The Divine Trio:
- Main Deities: The temple enshrines three wooden deities – Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra, and Goddess Subhadra, adorned in vibrant attire and precious ornaments.
Cultural and Ritualistic Vibrancy:
- Rath Yatra: Witnessing the annual Rath Yatra, where the deities are paraded in a spectacular procession, is an unforgettable experience.
- Daily Ceremonies: Visitors can observe various rituals, including the evening Aarti, performed by temple priests.
- Array of Shrines: The complex houses several smaller shrines, each with its own spiritual significance.
Historical and Cultural Significance:
- UNESCO World Heritage Site: The temple is not only a place of worship but also a cultural and historical landmark.
- Symbol of Odisha’s Heritage: It epitomizes the rich cultural heritage of Odisha and is integral to India’s religious and architectural narrative.
A Must-Visit Destination:
- Whether for spiritual reasons or to appreciate its architectural beauty and cultural depth, Jagannath Temple is a must-visit in Puri.
- It offers a comprehensive experience of Odisha’s history, culture, and traditions, appealing to a wide range of visitors.
In summary, the Jagannath Temple is more than a religious site; it is a testament to India’s rich spiritual and cultural tapestry and a pivotal destination for anyone visiting Puri.
Visiting Shree Jagannath Temple should be one of the first things to do in Puri.
2. Explore the Beaches in Puri
Puri, known for its spiritual significance, also boasts a stunning shoreline that captivates locals and tourists alike. The city’s beaches, each with its unique allure, are central to the numerous activities Puri offers, making it an ideal destination for beach enthusiasts.
Diverse Beach Experiences:
- Balighai Beach: Known for its serene ambience, this beach, located at the Nuanai River’s mouth, offers breathtaking views and tranquil walks. Its golden sands are perfect for experiencing the mesmerizing sunrises and sunsets.
- Home to Olive Ridley Turtles: Balighai Beach is distinguished by the presence of Olive Ridley sea turtles, adding a unique ecological charm.
- Golden Beach: Contrasting Balighai’s tranquility, Golden Beach pulsates with energy and excitement. It’s a hub for beach sports and a paradise for seafood aficionados, with numerous shacks serving fresh local delicacies.
- Blue Flag Beach: Distinguished for its eco-friendly initiatives, this beach has earned the prestigious Blue Flag certification. It appeals to environmentally conscious visitors who appreciate sustainable tourism practices.
A Blend of Nature and Culture:
- Activities and Exploration: From beach sports to peaceful strolls, the beaches in Puri offer a range of activities, catering to different tastes and preferences.
- Cultural Harmony: The beaches reflect a seamless integration of natural beauty with the cultural ethos of the region.
An Unforgettable Coastal Experience:
- Visiting Puri’s beaches is not just about enjoying the sun and sand; it’s an experience that combines environmental consciousness with leisure and cultural engagement.
- Each beach in Puri tells its own story, offering visitors a chance to create lasting memories.
In essence, Puri’s beaches represent a harmonious blend of natural splendor, cultural vibrancy, and environmental responsibility. They form an essential part of the city’s charm, offering visitors a varied and enriching coastal experience. Exploring Puri Beaches is one of the best things to do in Puri.
3. Puri Beach Market, Bada Danda Market
The Puri Beach Market, also known as Bada Danda Market, is a vibrant hub of culture and commerce, making it an essential stop for anyone visiting Puri, Odisha. Located near the famed Golden Beach, this market is a colorful display of local craftsmanship and tradition.
Diverse Array of Local Products:
- Traditional Textiles: The market offers a splendid collection of Odissi textiles, including Ikat and Sambalpuri sarees, renowned for their intricate designs and craftsmanship.
- Seashell Souvenirs and Handicrafts: From seashell souvenirs to handcrafted wooden items, the market is a haven for unique and locally-made products.
- Traditional Indian Jewelry: Explore a range of colorful glass bangles, beaded necklaces, and Jhumkas, embodying the essence of Indian jewelry craft.
- Pattachitra Paintings: These hand-painted scrolls, depicting mythological scenes, are not just souvenirs but pieces of rich cultural heritage, making them a popular purchase among visitors.
- Bustling Market Life: The market’s lively atmosphere is amplified by the array of vendors selling their wares amid the delicious aromas of street food.
- Cultural Immersion: The market is a microcosm of local life, with vendors donning traditional attire and engaging in local dialects, offering a genuine glimpse into the region’s culture.
- The market also serves as a gastronomic delight, offering a chance to savor local street food and interact with the friendly locals.
A Must-Visit Destination:
- Puri Beach Market is more than just a shopping destination; it’s a place where you can immerse yourself in the local culture, shop for a variety of goods, and enjoy an enriching experience.
Whether looking for a unique souvenir, interested in local arts and crafts, or eager to experience the vibrant local culture, Puri Beach Market offers something for everyone, making it a must-visit destination in Puri.
4. Visit the Raghurajpur Heritage Village
Exploring Puri, Odisha reveals not just its spiritual essence but also pockets of rich cultural heritage, like the Raghurajpur Heritage Village. This village, just a short drive from Puri, offers a unique and enriching experience that complements the spiritual journey of the city.
Artistic Heartland of Odisha:
- Location: Situated merely 14 kilometers from Puri, Raghurajpur is a living testament to Odisha’s vibrant cultural legacy.
- Village of Artists: The village is populated with over 150 homes, each serving as a workshop where families practice and preserve traditional arts.
Visual and Performing Arts:
- Pattachitra Paintings: Renowned for its Pattachitra paintings, dating back to the 5th century BC, the village streets are a gallery of this ancient art form, showcasing the artistic prowess of the locals.
- Gotipua Dance: Witness the captivating performances of Gotipua, the precursor to the classical Odissi dance. These performances, characterized by graceful acrobatics and poise, are an integral part of the village’s cultural fabric.
- Traditional Odia Cuisine: The village offers an opportunity to indulge in authentic Odia cuisine, prepared with locally sourced ingredients and traditional cooking methods.
Craftsmanship and Souvenirs:
- Diverse Handicrafts: Apart from paintings and dance, Raghurajpur excels in crafts like Tussar paintings, palm leaf engravings, stone and wood carvings, and more, making it a haven for those seeking unique souvenirs.
A Wholesome Cultural Experience:
- A visit to Raghurajpur Heritage Village is more than a sightseeing trip; it’s a journey into the heart of Odisha’s artistic traditions. The warmth of the villagers and the immersive experience of their art forms make this destination a must-visit for anyone exploring Puri.
Incorporating Raghurajpur into your Puri itinerary promises an experience that beautifully melds art, tradition, and hospitality, offering a deeper understanding and appreciation of the region’s cultural heritage.
5. Take a Boat Ride on Chilika Lake
A boat ride on Chilika Lake, Asia’s largest brackish water lagoon, is an essential experience for visitors to Puri. This serene excursion offers an unparalleled opportunity to immerse oneself in the lake’s natural splendor and to explore its rich biodiversity and cultural heritage.
Wildlife and Birdwatching Paradise:
- Bird Species: The lake is a haven for bird enthusiasts, hosting species like the spot-billed pelican, purple moorhen, and the elusive Irrawaddy dolphin.
- Migratory Bird Sanctuary: In winter, the lake transforms into a bustling hub for over a million migratory birds, creating a spectacular sight for visitors.
Insight into Local Livelihoods:
- Traditional Fishing Practices: Witness the age-old fishing techniques of local fishermen, providing a glimpse into the lake’s fishing culture.
Exploration of Nearby Islands:
- Nalaban Island: A designated bird sanctuary, Nalaban Island is a must-visit for nature lovers, offering a chance to witness a diverse range of avian life in their natural habitat.
- Kalijai Temple: Located on an island, this temple is dedicated to the goddess Kalijai and offers insights into the region’s spiritual practices and beliefs.
A Tranquil and Enriching Experience:
- A boat ride on Chilika Lake is not just a leisure activity but a journey that harmoniously blends nature’s tranquility with cultural exploration.
- The ride provides a peaceful retreat, allowing visitors to unwind and create lasting memories amidst the lake’s serene beauty.
Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, a culture buff, or simply seeking a serene getaway, a boat ride on Chilika Lake is an experience that caters to diverse interests and promises a memorable journey through Odisha’s natural and cultural landscape.
6. Day trip to Bhubaneswar
Bhubaneswar, the capital of Odisha, presents a perfect blend of ancient history and modern vibrancy. A day trip to this city is an enriching journey through its cultural and historical landmarks, offering a comprehensive experience of its rich heritage.
Historical and Spiritual Landmarks:
- Lingaraj Temple: A UNESCO World Heritage Site and a marvel of ancient architecture, this temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is a spiritual haven. The complex, with over 150 smaller temples, provides insights into the region’s religious and architectural history.
- Dhauli Peace Pagoda: Symbolizing peace and harmony, this pagoda is known for its lush gardens and panoramic city views. It’s a place to reflect on the region’s commitment to peace and tranquility.
Modern Cultural Exploration:
- Museums and Galleries: The city’s contemporary side is showcased in venues like the Odisha State Museum, which houses an extensive collection of sculptures, artifacts, and other significant cultural pieces.
- Ekamra Haat: For a taste of local life, this traditional market is a must-visit. It offers an array of handicrafts, textiles, and a chance to indulge in local street food, providing an authentic cultural experience.
A Day of Diverse Experiences:
- Sights, Sounds, and Tastes: Bhubaneswar’s varied attractions cater to all senses, from the visual splendor of ancient temples to the enticing flavors of local cuisine.
- Creating Lasting Memories: Whether exploring spiritual sites, delving into history and art, or immersing in local culture, Bhubaneswar promises a memorable experience for every visitor.
In essence, Bhubaneswar is a city where the past and present coexist harmoniously, making it an ideal destination for those seeking to explore the depths of India’s cultural and historical richness.
Consider reading: Top 11 Best Places To Visit In Bhubaneswar
7. Experience the Magnificent Konark Sun temple
The Konark Sun Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Odisha, India, is a magnificent testament to the architectural brilliance of the 13th century. Known as the Black Pagoda, this temple dedicated to the Sun God, Surya, continues to mesmerize visitors with its awe-inspiring design and intricate artistry.
Architectural Splendor and Artistic Mastery:
- Chariot Design: The temple’s structure, resembling a grand chariot with seven horses, showcases the ingenuity of ancient Indian architects.
- Intricate Carvings: Every part of the temple is adorned with detailed carvings, featuring deities, animals, and scenes from daily life, reflecting the rich cultural tapestry of the era.
Grand Entrance and Interior:
- Arka-dwara (Sun Gate): The majestic entrance, decorated with carvings of lions, elephants, and mythological scenes, leads to the main hall.
- Main Hall: Once housing idols of Surya and other deities, the main hall is an integral part of the temple’s spiritual essence.
Unique Sculptural Elements:
- Erotic Sculptures: The temple is renowned for its sensuous and erotic sculptures, indicative of ancient tantric practices and sun worship.
Natural and Cultural Setting:
- Coastal Location: Its proximity to the Bay of Bengal enhances the temple’s beauty, offering picturesque views.
- Lush Gardens and Light Show: Surrounded by gardens and an enchanting evening sound and light show, the temple offers a perfect blend of history and leisure.
A Symbol of Ancient Glory:
- Despite partial ruin, the Konark Sun Temple stands as a symbol of India’s rich historical and cultural heritage.
- It attracts global visitors, captivating them with its architectural grandeur and artistic finesse.
A visit to the Konark Sun Temple is an enriching experience, offering a glimpse into the past’s architectural and cultural achievements. It’s a destination that appeals to history buffs, architecture enthusiasts, and anyone fascinated by the wonders of ancient creativity.
Consider reading: Konark Sun Temple History, Architecture, Mystery, Facts, Images, Timings
8. Visit Pipili Village
Pipili Village, a short distance from Puri, Odisha, is more than just a location on the map. It’s a vibrant canvas of tradition, culture, and artistic heritage, making it an essential stop on your Puri itinerary. Renowned for its appliqué art, a technique of fabric design, Pipili offers a unique glimpse into the soul of Odisha’s craftsmanship.
Center of Appliqué Craftsmanship:
- Artistic Legacy: Pipili is synonymous with appliqué work, where artisans skillfully superimpose smaller fabric pieces onto larger ones, creating vibrant patterns and designs.
- Color and Creativity: This art form is a celebration of color and imagination, reflecting the village’s rich cultural traditions.
Vibrant Market Experience:
- Pipili Bazaar: A stroll through the local market unveils a plethora of beautifully crafted items, including garden umbrellas, wall hangings, bed covers, and bags, each telling its own story.
- Heritage in Every Thread: The items in Pipili market are not just products; they represent the artistic heritage passed down through generations.
Immersive Cultural Experience:
- Village Life: The essence of Pipili lies in its everyday life, from the rhythmic sound of looms to the lively local interactions.
- Culinary Delights: The village’s food offers a taste of authentic Odia cuisine, adding another dimension to your cultural exploration.
Why Visit Pipili Village:
- Cultural Intersection: Pipili is where culture, craft, and cuisine converge, offering a holistic experience of traditional Indian village life.
- Unforgettable Memories: Visiting Pipili is an opportunity to witness the preservation of age-old arts and to take part in a cultural journey that resonates long after the trip.
In summary, Pipili Village is a must-visit destination for those exploring Puri. It provides a unique perspective on the region’s artistic traditions and a chance to experience the warmth and simplicity of rural Odisha.
9. Visit Sudarshan Crafts museum
The Sudarshan Crafts Museum in Puri, Odisha, is a cultural treasure trove, founded by the renowned sand artist Sudarshan Sahoo. For art enthusiasts and cultural explorers, this museum is a not-to-be-missed destination, offering a deep dive into the rich tapestry of Odisha’s traditional arts and crafts.
Diverse Array of Art Forms:
- Vibrant Displays: Upon entering, visitors are welcomed by a kaleidoscope of colors and patterns, showcasing various crafts.
- Applique Work and Pattachitra Paintings: The museum houses exquisite applique work and Pattachitra paintings, each piece narrating stories of tradition and skill.
Unique Collections and Highlights:
- Odissi Dance Masks: The collection of Odissi dance masks, used in the famous classical dance form of Odisha, captures the essence of the region’s performing arts.
- Traditional Jewelry: The museum also exhibits an extensive range of traditional jewelry, crafted from shells, beads, and metals, reflecting the intricate craftsmanship of local artisans.
Stone Carvings and Historical Insights:
- Stone Carvings: A dedicated section showcases the finesse of Odisha’s stone carvings, made from sandstone and granite, presenting a variety of decorative items.
- Cultural History: Visitors can delve into Odisha’s rich cultural history through various exhibits and photographs.
Enhanced Learning Experience:
- Guided Tours: To enrich the visitor experience, the museum offers guided tours, led by knowledgeable guides, providing deeper insights into the art forms and their cultural significance.
The Sudarshan Crafts Museum is more than just a display of art; it’s a journey through Odisha’s artistic heritage, offering visitors a comprehensive understanding of the state’s cultural identity. Whether you’re an art lover, a history buff, or simply curious about traditional crafts, the museum provides an immersive experience into the heart of Odisha’s artistic traditions.
10. Visit Wonder World Water Park in Puri
Wonder World Water Park in Puri, Odisha, is an exciting destination for families seeking fun and adventure. Located near the revered Jagannath Temple, this water park is a haven of aquatic entertainment, offering a variety of attractions to delight visitors of all ages.
Thrills and Excitement:
- Diverse Water Slides: The park features an array of water slides, including the adrenaline-pumping “Black Hole” slide and the playful “Rain Dance” slide, catering to thrill-seekers and fun-lovers alike.
- Swimming Pool: The large swimming pool, with its water jets, fountains, and waterfall, is ideal for a refreshing swim and relaxation under the sun.
- Kids Pool Area: Younger visitors can enjoy the dedicated “Kids Pool” with smaller slides and a shallow pool, ensuring a safe and enjoyable experience. The presence of inflatable toys adds to the fun.
Dining and Relaxation:
- Food and Beverage Options: The park offers a variety of dining choices, from local delicacies to international fare, allowing guests to refuel and enjoy their day to the fullest.
- Comfortable Amenities: Sunbeds and picturesque views of the area provide a perfect setting for relaxation and leisure.
- Changing Rooms and Showers: With well-equipped changing rooms and showers, visitors can comfortably switch to swimwear and dive into their water park adventure.
Wonder World Water Park in Puri is more than just a water park; it’s a destination that promises a memorable day out for the entire family. Its combination of exhilarating rides, child-friendly zones, and relaxing amenities makes it an ideal choice for a fun-filled day.
Water rides at Wonder World Water Park
Below are the water rides available at Wonder World Water Park:
AQUA DISC: Enjoy the disco music and glittering raindrops mixing all together with your unleashed madness.
GROUP SAFARI: Wonderworld Group safari offers a trip of dizzy drops & turns for you and your group.
LITTLE SPLASH: For your kids, we offer attractive slides and rides of the little splash.
HI-MAI SCREAMER: Be ready to scream high!!! Wonderworld gives you an opportunity to setting off into the sky and thump back all at the same time.
CRAZY RIVER: Feel the free-flowing like a river object with the whirl of the water. Lay your lazy back and let the waves do the rest.
MAT RACER: Sliding up and down the mat racer, get the feel of a race with your competitor sliding right beside you.
NAMI-PURU: Wave- Pool creates for you an artificial set of waves that makes the water go up, giving you an overwhelming beach experience.
SPESU ANA: Space Hole is a cluster of twists and 360-degree turns into a slide-ride entrapping the rider into a stem-winding experience.
Wonder World Water Park opening times:
|(Mon – Sun)
|(Every Sat – Sun)
|Water Park Timing
|09.00 AM – 06.00 PM
|8.00 PM – 10.00 PM
Wonder World Water Park Contact Number: 1800 120 6676 /(+91) 814 491 6946
Best Time to Visit Puri
Planning a trip to Puri, Odisha, involves considering the best time to visit based on your preferences for activities, weather, and crowd levels. Puri, known for its spiritual significance and scenic beauty, offers different experiences throughout the year.
Peak Tourist Season (October to March):
- Ideal Weather: This period boasts pleasant weather, making it perfect for temple visits, beach outings, and exploring other attractions.
- Higher Crowd Levels: Being the peak season, expect larger crowds, especially at popular tourist spots.
Shoulder Seasons (April to June, September):
- Pleasant Climate: These months offer relatively pleasant weather, ideal for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
- Fewer Crowds: With fewer tourists, you’ll have more space to enjoy the attractions at your own pace.
Monsoon Season (July to August):
- Humid Weather: The monsoon brings humidity and frequent rains, which might hinder outdoor exploration.
- Lesser Crowds: If you don’t mind the rain and prefer solitude, this could be a peaceful time to visit.
- Cultural Events: Plan your visit around local festivals or events for a culturally immersive experience.
- Accommodation and Pricing: Accommodation prices and availability may vary according to the season, so plan accordingly.
In conclusion, the best time to visit Puri depends on your personal preferences. Whether you’re seeking pleasant weather, fewer crowds, or a cultural experience, each season in Puri has something unique to offer. Consider these factors to ensure your visit to Puri is both enjoyable and memorable.
What are some of the Best Places to Eat in Puri
Puri, a vibrant city in Odisha, is not only famous for its spiritual significance but also for its rich culinary culture. Whether you’re seeking traditional flavors or diverse international cuisine, Puri has an array of dining options to satisfy every palate.
Must-Try Culinary Experiences:
- Jagannath Temple’s Mahaprasad Avada: A visit to Puri is incomplete without tasting the Mahaprasad at Jagannath Temple. This sacred food, prepared and offered to Lord Jagannath and Goddess Bimala, symbolizes unity and devotion. It consists of rice, dal, and vegetables, cooked in traditional methods.
- Ananda Bazaar: Located within the Jagannath Temple premises, Ananda Bazaar is the place to buy Mahaprasad and other divine offerings.
Popular Restaurants in Puri:
- Baliapanda: Renowned for its seafood and traditional Odia dishes like Macha Ghanta and Dahi-Machha.
- Chariot Restaurant: Offers a variety of Odia cuisine along with a stunning sea view.
- Biryani House: Famous for its flavorful Biryani and Mughlai dishes.
- Dolphin Restaurant: A go-to for seafood enthusiasts and those who enjoy Chinese cuisine.
- Mughal Garden: Specializes in Mughlai and Tandoori delicacies.
- Ananta Ashram: Known for its simple, nutritious meals.
Street Food and International Flavors:
- Local Street Food: Don’t miss out on Puri’s street food scene, featuring delights like dahi vada and Aloo dum.
- International Cuisine: For those craving international flavors, Puri offers Italian, Chinese, and other global cuisines in various restaurants and cafes.
Puri’s culinary landscape is as diverse as its cultural heritage. From the divine Mahaprasad to an array of seafood, traditional Odia, and international dishes, the city’s food scene caters to all tastes and preferences. A culinary journey through Puri is not just about savoring flavors but also experiencing the local culture and traditions.
The Best Adventure Activities to do in Puri
Puri, a city renowned for its spiritual ambiance, also offers a plethora of activities for those seeking adventure and leisure. From exhilarating water sports to serene village walks, Puri caters to a variety of interests, ensuring that every visitor has a memorable experience.
Exciting Water Sports at Puri Beach:
- Variety of Options: Engage in thrilling water sports such as parasailing, jet skiing, and speed boat riding, perfect for adrenaline junkies.
- Scenic Beauty: The pristine Puri Beach provides an ideal backdrop for these activities, combining thrill with breathtaking views.
Cultural Immersion and Rural Exploration:
- Village Walks: Embark on a journey through nearby villages to witness the traditional lifestyle of Odisha.
- Bullock Cart Rides: Experience the rustic charm of rural life with a traditional bullock cart ride, offering a glimpse into the simplicity of village living.
Serene Boating Experience:
- Sunrise/Sunset Boat Rides: Opt for a tranquil boat ride to witness the mesmerizing sunrise or sunset over the sea, a perfect way to unwind.
Exploration on Two Wheels:
- Cycling Adventures: Rent a bicycle and explore the city or nearby areas at your own pace, offering a blend of adventure and leisure.
Leisure and Adventure Combined:
- Puri provides a unique blend of cultural depth and adventurous activities, ensuring a well-rounded experience for visitors.
- Whether you’re an adventure enthusiast or someone seeking a leisurely exploration, Puri offers a range of activities to suit your preferences.
In essence, Puri is not just about spiritual quests; it’s also a destination for those seeking adventure and cultural experiences. The variety of activities available makes it a versatile destination, appealing to a broad spectrum of visitors.
Things to Do in Puri at night
Your visit to Puri, Odisha, can be a delightful blend of spiritual, natural, and culinary experiences. From the revered Jagannath Temple to the serene beaches, Puri offers a range of activities that cater to different interests, making your trip both enriching and enjoyable.
Spiritual and Cultural Enrichment:
- Evening Aarti at Jagannath Temple: Participating in the evening Aarti at the temple is a spiritually uplifting experience. The atmosphere during Aarti, filled with devotion and chants, offers a glimpse into the city’s rich religious heritage.
Nature’s Splendor at Puri Beachfront:
- Walk on Golden Beach: A leisurely walk along the golden sands of Puri Beach can be incredibly soothing. The beachfront is perfect for enjoying the cool sea breeze and witnessing the rhythmic waves.
- Local Seafood Delights: Relish the fresh and delicious seafood available at the beach. The experience of selecting your fish and having it prepared fresh adds to the gastronomic pleasure.
Scenic Drive and Sunset Views:
- Visit to Chandrabhaga Beach: If you have a vehicle, a drive to nearby Chandrabhaga Beach to catch the sunset is highly recommended. This beach is known for its beautiful sunset views and offers a tranquil escape from the bustling city.
In summary, Puri offers a harmonious blend of spiritual serenity, natural beauty, and local flavors. Whether you’re seeking a spiritual connection, a peaceful nature retreat, or culinary delights, Puri provides a fulfilling and varied experience.
Things to Do in Puri in 1 Day
To make the most of a quick visit to Puri, be sure to visit the Jagannath Temple in the morning and the Puri beach in the afternoon. Allow for a couple of hours at the temple before heading to the beach for lunch. If you have extra time, consider doing some quick shopping at the beach.
If you are coming by train, the Jagannath Temple is just 15mins away from the Puri station via an autorickshaw.
Puri Beach is just 4km away from the Jagannath Temple, you can go to Puri Beach from the Jagannath Temple in 15mins on an autorickshaw.
Here is a suggested Itinerary for Visiting Puri in One Day:
|Start your day early with a refreshing walk on the golden sands of Puri Beach. Enjoy the stunning sunrise over the Bay of Bengal.
|Have breakfast at one of the local restaurants near the beach. Try some local Oriya cuisines like Dahi Vada, Aloo Dum, and Poha.
|Visit the sacred Jagannath Temple, one of the most renowned temples in India. Make sure to adhere to the temple’s dress code and entry rules. Non-Hindus are not allowed inside the main temple, but they can get a good view from the nearby Raghunandan Library’s rooftop.
|From Jagannath Temple, take a short trip to Gundicha Temple, known as the Garden House of Lord Jagannath. It’s particularly important during the Rath Yatra festival.
|Head to one of the local Oriya restaurants for lunch. Try traditional dishes like Dalma and Macha Ghanta.
|Visit the Puri District Museum. Learn about the rich history and culture of Puri and the state of Odisha.
|Pay a visit to the Sudarshan Craft Museum to appreciate the beautiful handicrafts and learn about the local arts and crafts of Odisha.
|Head to the Chilika Lake, the largest coastal lagoon in India and the second largest in the world. Enjoy a serene boat ride, birdwatching, and if you’re lucky, you might spot some dolphins.
|Return to Puri and have dinner at a beachfront restaurant. You can enjoy fresh seafood while listening to the waves.
|Head to the Chilika Lake, the largest coastal lagoon in India and the second largest in the world. Enjoy a serene boat ride, and birdwatching, and if you’re lucky, you might spot some dolphins.
Things to Do in Puri in 2 days
If you have 2 days with you in Puri then here is a recommendation for things to do in Puri in 2 days:
|Sunrise walk on Puri Beach
|Breakfast at local restaurant
|Breakfast at hotel or local eatery
|Visit Jagannath Temple
|Trip to Sakshi Gopal Temple
|Visit Gundicha Temple
|Visit Raghurajpur Artist Village
|Lunch at local Oriya restaurant
|Lunch at local restaurant
|Visit Lokanath Temple
|Trip to Chilika Lake
|Visit Narendra Tank
|Visit Atharnala Bridge
|Return to Puri, leisure time for shopping
|Enjoy evening at the beach
|Dinner at beachfront restaurant
|Dinner at a good restaurant in town
|Evening walk on the beach
Remember, these times are approximate and can vary based on factors like how much time you spend at each place and how quickly you prefer to travel.
Places to visit in Puri in 3 -4 days
If you are in for more than 3 days then you can enjoy a relaxed vacation. You can cover all the destinations mentioned in this article in 3 days or more.
Day Tour Package from Puri
The Odisha Tourism Development Corporation (OTDC) offers an excellent service of day tours from Puri. You can hop on to one of the packages and spend the entire day.
From – Puri (Pantha Bhavan) Tel – 06752 – 223526, 223524
|Tour – 1
|Konark, Dhauli, Bhubaneswar, Khandagiri, Udayagiri & Nandankanan
|0630hrs to 1900hrs
|Tour – 2
|0630hrs to 1900hrs
|Tour – 3
|Puri Raghurajpur & back
|08.00A.M. to 10.00A.M.
|Tour – 4
|Puri Ramchandi Chandrabhaga Konark
|08.00A.M. to 10.00A.M.
Please check the schedule and price at the OTDC counter.
Final Thoughts on Best Things to Do in Puri
Puri is a beautiful and sacred destination in Odisha, India, that offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors. Whether you are looking for spiritual enlightenment, cultural immersion, natural beauty, or adventure, Puri has something for everyone.
You can visit the majestic Sri Jagannath Puri Temple, the largest temple complex in India, and witness the famous Jagannath Rath Yatra, a spectacular chariot festival. You can also enjoy the serene and sandy Puri Beach, where you can relax, swim, surf, or watch the sunrise and sunset.
If you are a nature lover, you can explore the Chilika Lake, the largest brackish water lagoon in Asia, and see the diverse flora and fauna, including dolphins, migratory birds, and endangered species.
You can also visit the Raghurajpur Artist Village, where you can see the traditional art and craft of Odisha, such as Pattachitra paintings, palm leaf engravings, and applique work. You can also experience the local cuisine, culture, and festivals of Puri, and get a glimpse of its rich history and heritage.
Puri is a place that will leave you with unforgettable memories and a desire to return. It is a place where you can find peace, joy, and inspiration. It is a place that will make you fall in love with India. So, what are you waiting for? Book your trip to Puri today and discover the best things to do in this amazing city.
FAQs on 10 Places to Visit and Things to Do in Puri
How can I spend my day in Puri?
To spend a day in Puri, start with a sunrise at the sacred Jagannath Temple, then relax at Puri Beach. Explore the architectural marvel, Sun Temple at Konark in the afternoon, and visit the tranquil Chilika Lake for birdwatching and a sunset cruise. Don’t miss the local shopping for unique handicrafts.
Is 1 day enough for Puri?
While a single day in Puri may allow for a quick visit to the famous Jagannath Temple, it is not enough to fully experience the city’s cultural and spiritual richness. Ideally, a stay of 3 nights and 4 days is recommended to explore the temples, beaches, and local festivities such as the Rath Yatra comfortably.
What is famous things to buy in Puri?
Puri is renowned for its exquisite handicrafts like palm leaf engravings, pattachitra paintings, silver filigree, and horn craft. Shoppers also seek out unique coir products, applique artwork, and stone or wooden statues. Papier mache masks and delicate solapith work are popular buys at the city’s government emporiums, boutique stores, and lively markets.
What is Puri famous for?
Puri is renowned for the majestic Jagannath Temple, a revered pilgrimage site for Hindus and part of the Char Dham. It’s also celebrated for its expansive golden beaches that attract tourists globally. Puri’s cultural heritage and religious significance make it a pivotal destination in India.