Located just 16 km from Berhampur, Gopalpur Beach is a must-see destination for visitors looking to soak in the beauty of the Bay of Bengal. Famous for its long and lovely sandy beach, Gopalpur Beach is the perfect spot for a relaxing getaway. In this article, we will look at Gopalpur Beach’s history, timings, festivals, things to do, hotels, and the best time to visit.
The beach offers a variety of facilities, including bathing and changing rooms, toilets, drinking water, watchtowers, solar lighting, and seating arrangements. Visitors can also catch a glimpse of the sunrise and sunset, which are particularly beautiful at Gopalpur.
The Gopalpur Beach Festival, held in December every year, is another major attraction of the beach. Organized by the Ganjam District Hotel Association and the Government of Odisha, the festival is a popular event that draws thousands of visitors from across the state and neighboring areas.
Whether you’re looking to escape the city or simply want to spend some quality time with loved ones, Gopalpur Sea Beach is the perfect destination. With its natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and endless possibilities for adventure and fun, it’s no wonder why it’s one of the most popular tourist spots in Berhampur and Ganjam District.
Consider reading: 5 Beaches in Odisha You Must Visit
Gopalpur Beach Photos
Things to do and What to see in Gopalpur Beach
Gopalpur Beach, with its tranquil and picturesque setting, offers a multitude of activities and attractions for visitors. Here’s a guide to making the most of your visit:
- Relaxation and Beach Time:
- Golden Sands and Blue Waters: Unwind on the long, pristine sands or take a refreshing swim in the clear waters.
- Sunbathing and Relaxation: Perfect spot for sunbathing or just lounging while listening to the soothing sound of the waves.
- Gopalpur Wooden Bridge:
- Scenic Views: This iconic spot provides stunning vistas, ideal for capturing memorable photographs.
- Instagram-Worthy Location: A favorite for social media enthusiasts looking for picturesque backdrops.
- Water Sports:
- Variety of Activities: Enjoy swimming, boating, fishing, windsurfing, and kite-surfing, thanks to the favorable winds.
- Adventure Opportunities: Great for thrill-seekers and water sports aficionados.
- Lighthouse Exploration:
- Historical Significance: Visit the Gopalpur lighthouse, established in 1864, offering a glimpse into the area’s maritime history.
- Panoramic Views: Climb to the top for breathtaking views of the beach and the surrounding areas.
- Cultural and Historical Sites:
- Explore Gopalpur Town: Discover temples and historical sites in Gopalpur, each with its unique story and architectural beauty.
- Visit Nearby Berhampur: Known for its traditional handicrafts and textiles, it’s a short trip from Gopalpur.
- Gopalpur Beach Festival:
- Cultural Extravaganza: Held annually in December, the festival showcases cultural performances, traditional games, and competitions.
- Dolphin Watching Cruises:
- Marine Life Exploration: Embark on a boat ride to see dolphins frolicking in their natural habitat, an experience not to be missed.
- Savor the Local Cuisine:
- Seafood Delicacies: Indulge in a range of delicious seafood dishes at local eateries, offering fresh and flavorful options.
- Peaceful Strolls:
- Long Beach Walks: Ideal for leisurely strolls, absorbing the serene beauty of the beach and its surroundings.
Tips for an Enjoyable Visit:
- Stay Hydrated: Carry water, especially during outdoor activities or long walks.
- Respect Local Customs: Be mindful of local traditions and practices, especially when visiting temples.
- Safety First: Always prioritize safety, particularly when participating in water sports.
Gopalpur Beach, with its combination of natural beauty, adventure, culture, and culinary delights, ensures a memorable and diverse experience for every visitor.
History of Gopalpur Beach
Gopalpur Beach is a popular beach in the eastern Indian state of Orissa, known for its beauty and serene atmosphere. The small beach resort, called Gopalpur-on-Sea, was originally a fishing village along the Bay of Bengal. In the 18th century, a temple dedicated to Lord Krishna was built in the village, leading to its recognition as a winter resort.
The East India Company also established warehouses and trading posts in Gopalpur, which attracted wealthy Bengalis from Calcutta for holiday and social events. However, with the cessation of trade with Burma during the war, the popularity of Gopalpur diminished, and it returned to being a fishing village.
In recent years, the tourist industry has seen a resurgence in Gopalpur with the opening of luxury hotels. Today, it is one of the top beach resorts in India, offering a charming environment for tourists to enjoy sun, sea, and sand. Visitors can walk along the beach, collect shells, and soak in the peaceful surroundings.
How to reach Gopalpur Beach
For those based in Kolkata and eager to visit the serene Gopalpur Beach in Odisha, there are several travel options available:
1. By Air (Fastest Option):
- Flight from Kolkata to Bhubaneswar: Catch a flight from Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata, to Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar.
- Journey to Gopalpur: After arriving in Bhubaneswar, which is approximately 160 km from Gopalpur, you can hire a taxi or board a bus for the beach.
2. By Train (Economical Option):
- Train Journey: Board a train from Kolkata to Berhampur Railway Station, the nearest railhead to Gopalpur Beach.
- Road Commute to Gopalpur: From Berhampur, which is about 16 km from the beach, opt for a taxi or local transportation to reach Gopalpur.
3. By Bus or Car (Scenic Road Trip):
- Bus Services: Avail bus services that operate between Kolkata and Gopalpur. This option offers a chance to enjoy scenic views along the way.
- Driving: If you prefer a road trip, you can drive from Kolkata to Gopalpur. The distance of about 250-300 km can be covered in approximately 6-7 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
4. A Combined Approach:
- Mix of Train and Road Travel: For a balanced approach, you can take a train to a major city near Gopalpur (like Bhubaneswar or Berhampur) and then complete your journey via road.
Each of these options has its own charm and convenience. While flying is the quickest way to reach, the train journey allows you to experience the local culture more closely. A road trip, on the other hand, offers flexibility and the opportunity to enjoy the landscape at your own pace.
- Check Timetables: Always verify the latest train and flight schedules for any changes.
- Booking Accommodation: Consider booking your stay in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
- Local Transport: Familiarize yourself with local transportation options for the final leg of your journey to Gopalpur Beach.
Consider reading: 20 Must Visit Best Tourist Places in Odisha
Best time to visit Gopalpur Beach
When planning a visit to Gopalpur Beach, timing is essential for an enjoyable experience. Here are the best times to visit, depending on your interests:
- For Pleasant Weather: November to February
- Cool and Comfortable Climate: These months offer the most pleasant weather, with cooler temperatures ideal for beach outings and exploring the area.
- Outdoor Activities: Perfect for leisurely beach walks, sunbathing, and exploring nearby attractions without the discomfort of intense heat or humidity.
- For Water Sports and Activities: October to May
- Calm Seas: This period generally has calmer sea conditions, conducive to water-based activities like swimming, boating, and windsurfing.
- Longer Days: Enjoy extended daylight hours for a fuller day of activities and exploration.
- Cultural Experience: December
- Gopalpur Beach Festival: December is a special month as the Gopalpur Beach Festival takes place, offering a glimpse into the vibrant culture and traditions of the region through various events and activities.
Avoiding the Monsoon: June to September
- Rough Seas and Rain: The monsoon season brings heavy rainfall and rough sea conditions, making it less suitable for beach activities and water sports.
- Potential for Disruptions: Travel plans during the monsoon can be affected by rain-related disruptions.
Tips for a Memorable Visit:
- Accommodation: Book your stay in advance, especially if you plan to visit during the peak season or around the time of the beach festival.
- Check Weather Forecasts: Before your trip, it’s wise to check the local weather forecasts for any unexpected changes.
- Pack Accordingly: Carry appropriate clothing and gear based on the season of your visit.
By choosing the right time for your visit based on these guidelines, you can ensure a delightful and memorable experience at Gopalpur Beach.
Famous Places to visit near Gopalpur beach
There are several places to visit near Gopalpur Beach that offer a unique and exciting experience. Here are some of them:
- Berhampur: Berhampur is the largest city in the Ganjam district and is located just 16 km away from Gopalpur Beach. The city is famous for its silk sarees, handloom textiles, and unique cuisine.
- Taptapani: Taptapani is a famous hot water spring located around 60 km from Gopalpur Beach. The spring is believed to have medicinal properties and is a popular spot for tourists.
- Maa Taratarini Temple: Taratarini Temple is a famous Hindu temple located around 30 km from Gopalpur Beach. The temple is dedicated to the goddess Tara Tarini and is situated on a hilltop, offering a stunning view of the surrounding area.
- Chilika Lake: Chilika Lake is the largest brackish water lagoon in Asia and is located around 80 km from Gopalpur Beach. The lake is home to a variety of flora and fauna, including migratory birds, dolphins, and sea turtles.
- Gopalpur Port: Gopalpur Port is an ancient port located on the coast of the Bay of Bengal. The port was an important trade centre during the British Raj and is now a popular tourist destination.
- Rushikulya Turtle Sanctuary: Rushikulya Turtle Sanctuary is located around 50 km from Gopalpur Beach and is home to several species of sea turtles, including the Olive Ridley sea turtle.
- Tampara Lake: Tampara Lake is a serene freshwater lake located about 45 km from Gopalpur Beach. The lake is surrounded by lush green forests and is a popular spot for boating and birdwatching.
- These are just a few of the many places to visit near Gopalpur Beach. Each of these places offers a unique and unforgettable experience, and I would highly recommend visiting them if you have the chance.
These are just a few of the many places to visit near Gopalpur Beach. Each of these places offers a unique and unforgettable experience, and I would highly recommend visiting them if you have the chance.
Foods to try at Gopalpur beach
Gopalpur Beach is known for its delicious seafood and local cuisine. Here are some of the most popular foods to try while you are visiting Gopalpur Beach:
- Seafood: Gopalpur is famous for its delicious seafood, visitors can enjoy a variety of seafood dishes such as fish curry, prawn curry, and crab curry.
- Machha Jhol: A traditional Odia dish which is a fish curry cooked in a spicy gravy. It is a must-try for seafood lovers.
- Dahi-Pakhal: This is a popular Odia dish made of soaked rice, dal, and yogurt. It is a refreshing and healthy meal, perfect for a hot summer day.
- Pitha: A traditional Odia sweet made of rice flour, it is usually filled with coconut or jaggery. There are many varieties of pitha available, such as Kakara Pitha, Manda Pitha, and Chakuli Pitha.
- Lassi: A popular drink in Gopalpur, it’s made of yoghurt and sweetened with sugar or jaggery. You can find many street vendors selling Lassi on Gopalpur beach.
- Coconut water: Gopalpur beach is located in a tropical area, where coconut is widely available, visitors can try fresh coconut water, it is healthy and refreshing.
Hotels and Resorts to stay near Gopalpur beach
There are several good hotels and resorts to stay in near Gopalpur Beach, depending on your budget and preferences. Here are a few options:
- Panthanivas Gopalpur which is maintained by OTDC ( a govt of Odisha undertaking) offers the best value for money stay in Gopalpur. It has AC cottages, AC rooms and non-AC rooms to offer.
- Mayfair Waves: This is a 5-star luxury resort located just a few minutes away from the beach. It offers a variety of amenities including a spa, fitness centre, and multiple dining options.
- The Hans Coco Palms: This is a 4-star hotel located just a short distance from the beach. It offers comfortable rooms, a swimming pool, and a restaurant.
- The Dolphin Bay Beach Resort: This is a 3-star hotel located on the beach. It offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, and a swimming pool.
- The Sea Hawk Hotel: This is a budget-friendly hotel located near the beach. It offers basic rooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Hotel Blue Lagoon: This is a budget hotel located near the beach. It offers basic rooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
Panthanivas Gopalpur details and room charges
Below are the rooms available at Panthanivas (OTDC) at Gopalpur:
|Type of Rooms
|No. of rooms
|Tariff from 1st October to 30thJune
|Tariff from 1st July to 30th September
|Dormitory (6 beds)
( per bed )
( per bed )
Restaurant, T.V., EPABX, Wayside Amenity Centre with Restaurant.
Total Room / Bed = 20 /44
Check-out time: 8 A.M.
Special Offer 40% discount for Day Visitor from 8 A.M. to 6 P.M. subject to availability of rooms on the spot.
Special discount of 10% for repeat visitors, Sr. Citizens, Students and Physically handicapped persons.
Day tours from Gopalpur
OTDC runs day tours from Gopalpur, details as below:
|Tour – 1
|Berhampur, Rambha, Tara Tarini Temple
|Rs.250/- (Subject to 8 pax)
|Tour – 2
|Rs.250/- (Subject to 8 pax)
|Tour – 3
|Gopalpur- Berhampur – Rambha- Taratarini and back
|Rs.200/-(Subject to 5 pax)
|Tour – 4
|Gopalpur-Berhampur – Taptapani and back
|Rs.200/- (subject to 5 pax)
|Tour – 5
|Berhampur Railway Station – Gopalpur
|Rs.80/- (Subject to 5pax)
If you are looking to go out to enjoy some nice family time, then you should consider visiting Tampara Lake, which is only 40 kilometers away from Gopalpur Beach.
Gopalpur Beach Distance from Major destinations
Let’s look at Gopalpur Beach Distance from Major destinations:
|Distance in KM
FAQs on Gopalpur Beach
Why is Gopalpur Beach famous?
Gopalpur Beach in Odisha is renowned for its serene beauty and the rare Olive Ridley Turtles nesting site, making it a significant ecological haven. Its picturesque coastline, bordered by lush groves, provides a tranquil retreat for visitors seeking a relaxing weekend getaway.
Where is Gopalpur beach located?
Gopalpur Beach is situated in the coastal town of Gopalpur within Ganjam District, Odisha, India, along the picturesque shores of the Bay of Bengal. Renowned for its serene sea beach, Gopalpur has become a sought-after tourist destination and functions as a vibrant commercial port.
Which is the nearest station of Gopalpur?
The nearest railway station to Gopalpur is Berhampur, situated on the Howrah-Chennai route of the Southeastern Railway, about 16 kilometers away. This station offers connections to major cities like Kolkata and Chennai, facilitating convenient access to Gopalpur by train.
How to reach Gopalpur-on-Sea from Kolkata by train?
To reach Gopalpur-on-Sea from Kolkata by train, take the HUMSAFAR EXP (20828) every Wednesday, departing at 20:35 and arriving at Gopalpur in 27 hours and 22 minutes. Alternatively, the HWH CSMT SF EXP (12870) operates every Friday, leaving Kolkata at 14:35 and reaching Gopalpur in just 3 hours and 23 minutes.